Saturday, 23 July 2011

Mom's Paper Trail

Aunt Adele's Card
It's Saturday afternoon, and Becca has a house league soccer tournament today.  We are on break between games 2 and 3 and I snuck away to my room to start sorting through Mom's recipes.   What a daunting task!  In addition to the many proper recipe cards and sheets, there are tons of little pieces of paper with recipes written on the back or, in some cases, down the sides.  On the reverse of these makeshift recipe cards I've found notes from my brother to my parents, grocery and to do lists written by my mother, telephone messages from work, calendars from 30 years ago, and so much more.  I've also rediscovered Red Cross Swimming Report Cards from 1976...yet another area where my little brother excelled and surpassed his big sister (he actually got the badge!).  In addition to the recipe cards, there are many clippings from various magazines and newspapers and a gift card/note from my great-aunt Adele, my Bubbie Lou's sister, to my mother on the occasion of her engagement, with the inscription: "One way to a Mans heart...Happy Eating! Have Fun!  Good Luck!".  My only memory of my aunt Adele was her passing when I was 4 years old. I knew she had cancer, a disease that would later claim 2 of her 5 siblings, and my mom left us to go to Regina and support her own mother during this difficult time.  This little note got me to thinking...what was their relationship like?  Were they close?  What was the gift - which cookbook did Auntie Adele give Mom and it is in my kitchen now?  I need to check with Dad and Uncle Jim, and perhaps broaden my search to include my Aunt Anita, who is alive and well.  Maybe one of them can fill in this blank for me.  I have to go back to the pitch for game 3 in a minute, but will be back later to log a proper post...stay tuned for the Mushroom Brown Rice recipe, which was a favourite in my parents' home and now in mine.

Inside of Aunt Adele's Card