Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Today is Alzheimer's Action Day

Today is September 21st, 2011 - Alzheimer's Action Day.  http://www.alz.org/wam/wam.asp#boxHome




My beloved mother, Carol Joy, is one of the millions of people worldwide who has been ravaged by this horrible disease, which is the 6th leading cause of death. 


I wanted to take a moment to share a sweet anecdote about Mom...



I popped in (to her nursing home) for a visit yesterday.  She was lying on her bed, with her eyes closed and her knees bent, just as I would find her when she was napping in healthier times.  For a brief moment, she was her old self.  She gave a half smile when she opened her eyes and saw me, but was not easily engaged. 

Dad walked in moments later.  She looked up, saw his face and an expression of utter joy came across her face.  She was so thrilled to see "Moishe", and did not take her eyes off of him for the duration of the visit.  When I left, I marvelled at how, 46 years later, theirs really is a love story. 

Despite the severity of her illness, she remembers him.  Atypical of Alzheimer's Disease patients, my mother remains gentle and loving.  Love was the one constant in her world, and if I had to choose one characteristic to describe Carol Joy, my Joychee, it would be her capacity to love.  She adored her family and friends, always giving of herself to each of us. 

Mom - your love lives on in all of us: your husband, children and grandchildren...We love you...I love you. 


And lest we forget the people in our lives who help to care for our loved ones who are afflicted with AD ...Mildred - thank you for taking such amazing care of our wife, mother, and Bubbie.  You are so good to her, and we are blessed to have you in all of our lives.