Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Tomato Tuesdays ... Pizza!

Well...I sure do blog in fits and spurts, don't I?! 

OK... tonight was one of my all-time favourite dinners - homemade pizza!  If you saw the movie Eat, Pray, Love, you may recall a scene where they are in Napoli and Julia Roberts' character is eating the most delicious-looking slice of gooey, drippy pizza...well, this scne resonated with me, and the thought of that pizza drives me to make it from scratch every few weeks!

I found prayer as a child in parochial school.  I found love with my wonderful hubby, Carlo, 20+ years ago, and again with each of our daughters.  But I only found food, or at least discovered my love for preparing and eating food, in my later 30s and 40s. 

On this Tomato Tuesday, I had a hankering for pizza, and so tonight's menu was decided!  I have a recipe for pizza dough that is quite easy and delicious, but tonight I cheated and bought pre-prepared dough from the Nino D'Aversa bakery (it takes at least 2 hours to make dough from scratch - too long on a work day -  you have to let it rise, punch it down and rise again).  But I did make my own sauce!

Combine 1 diced onion, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp canola oil and 1 tbsp margarine

Saute until onions are translucent

Add 28 oz tin of herbed diced tomatoes and 1 tbsp salt, simmer for 20 minutes

Meanwhile, knead that dough!  The more you knead, the more pliable it will be
Roll out dough on floured surface, then place on pre-heated, oiled pizza pan

Top with tomato sauce


And then with mozzarella cheese

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes (or until bottom is golden brown)

Hope you enjoyed your Tomato Tuesday!   Until next time, B'Tayavon and Buon Appetito!