Thursday, 8 December 2011

Auntie Etta's Chili Con Carne

Louise & Etta (1925) 

Some of my nicest childhood memories are of visiting my mother's family out west in Regina.  My Bubbie Lou was one of 6 kids...3 girls and 3 boys.  Her sister Adele died when I was very young.  Consequently, I never got the chance to know her.  Her younger sister Etta was like another grandmother to me.  All my memories of Auntie Etta are of a loving, nurturing and kind woman whose face always wore a smile, and whose arms were always ready to give you a big hug.   

Louise & Etta (1930s) 


She lives in Winnipeg and, like my mother, is in the latter, severe stages of Alzheimer's Disease.  Bubbie Lou, Auntie Etta and Mom all share a unique characteristic atypical of classic Alzheimer's - they remain kind, timid and loving as they fall deeper and deeper into the abyss of dementia.  I like to think this is reflective of their amazing spirit.


Louise & Etta at the cottage (1950s)


So..I dedicate this entry to my beloved Auntie Etta, whose chili recipe was a staple in our household growing up.  Davie and I always loved this meal so much that Mom could never make it ahead of time for fear of us devouring it on the sly.  I am sure she discovered the pot half empty on more than one occasion and had to improvise when mealtime came around!


Auntie Etta & Uncle Harold (as I remember them)


What follows is the recipe, written in my Bubbie Lou's hand, and a step-by-step pictorial of it's preparation.  From my family to yours, I wish you a wonderful day filled with fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!
 
The Recipe

Chop onions & celery, add mushrooms and saute until translucent
Meanwhile, add kidney beans...
and tomato soup to crock pot set on high...
brown the ground beef...

add sauteed veggies to crock pot...

add meat...stir well and in a few hours (approximately 3 on high, 6 on low) dinner is ready!