Friday, 9 December 2011

Bubbie Lily's Coffee Cake

I am making Shabbat dinner, and need a dessert...pronto!  I am thinking about making Bubbie Lily's Coffee Cake.  You may recall me mentioning Bubbie Lily in an earlier post (Full Circle: Frittata for Jack & Becca).  She was not my Bubbie - she was my cousin Michael's Bubbie - but as far back as I can remember there have been stories about the Jampolskys...they were my grandparents' friends, neighbours, and eventually relatives by marriage. 

My grandparents - Louise and Bernie - lived 2 doors down from the Jampolskys.  Their families grew up together, and eventually their daughter Anita  married Louise's youngest brother Paul.  Two generations later, Louise and Bernie's daughter Carol (Mom) moved to Toronto.   Twenty years after that, Paul and Anita's son Michael moved to Toronto.  There is a generation gap between Carol and Michael - he is actually just a few years older than me.  So our families reunited around Carol and Moishe's Yom Tov dinner table.  Michael and Kate's daughter Lilyanna was born 5 months after our daughter Sara.  Our daughter Becca was born 5 months after their son Jack.  Paige ... well, we stopped at 2, but my brother David & his wife Lena obliged by having a little girl, Abby, who is becoming a fast friend of Paige's.  The family ties run deep.  Almost 8 years ago, Carlo and I fell in love with a house that just happened to be 2 doors down from Michael & Katie's!  And so, the relationship between our 2 families has come full circle, and 2 generations later, our families are living 2 doors apart again! (I know....lots of 2's!)

Enough of the family history lesson....many years ago Mom made a Bubbie Lily coffee cake.  It was out-of-this-world delicious!  So, I quickly got the recipe and made it so often people started referring to it as Nomi's Coffee Cake.  A couple of years ago we submitted the recipe for the kids' school cookbook, but this time it was known as Sara's Coffee Cake...

Sara's school cookbook submission

So now, as I make it and send the recipe out into the blogosphere, I must give credit where credit is due...I hope you enjoy Bubbie Lily's Coffee Cake as much as we do...3 and 4 generations later! 


Mom's handwritten recipe (notice she refers to it as Aunty Lil J (not Bubbie Lily)
 Wishing you a wonderful weekend filled with fun, friends and fantastic food!  B'Tayavon and Buon Appetito!

PS - I am just too beat to whip up the cake tonight...hopefully will find the energy tomorrow and will upload the photos when it's done!