Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Happy Birthday Pasquale...Uncle Pat's Boneless Chicken Wings - Brilliant!

I found this photo on the web...cannot take
credit for the artistic creation - "beautiful, no?"

Today is my brother-in-love Pat's birthday, and in celebration of him I would like to share his recipe for boneless chicken wings.


Every summer we spend at least 1 long weekend at Pat and Nati's cottage, where we: go on a mini road trip to discover some amazing local venue - last year it was an antique shop housed in barn; swim and tube in their lake; build bonfires where we roast pink (hot) dogs and marshmallows; and have scrabble tournaments - where, for the record, no-one wants to be on my team, but somehow I manage to win anyways!


But by far, the best memories are of the amazing meals we have.  Pat and Carlo, Nati and I all love good food - both eating and preparing it,  and as far back as I can remember, the 4 of us have been cottaging and preparing mini feasts!  In the old days, before Carlo and I were married, when Nati and Pat were newlyweds, we would go up to the family cottage.  Nati and I would walk to the local antiques barn and forage for incredible finds, and the boys would make these amazing feasts.  Every pot, pan, plate and utensil was used in the process, and Nati and I would boil pots of water to wash up for what seemed to be hours each night.  (While we had running water, it was lake water, and there was no water heater).  Then we'd have a bonfire, followed by games of pictionary and euchre.  It was usually girls against the guys, and the girls usually won!


Fast forward 20 years (has it been that long?!?!?) and the family cottage is sold.  Now we join Pat and Nati at their cottage, and it is a time our family look forward to every year - we escape the rat race of our every day lives and share in their Nirvana.  And every year I take away a new, fabulous recipe that I incorporate into our own family favourites.  


This past summer was no exception.  As we were driving to the dump - yes, you heard correctly: the dump (an adventure in and of itself!) Pat was describing this dish he had seen on a cooking show (no idea which one, sorry) where the chef made boneless chicken wings.  He tried the recipe for his family, it was a hit, and he then made it for a pot luck retirement lunch at his work where every last morsel was devoured.  Needless to say, I needed this recipe...I am not a fan of eating anything off a bone, so it sounded like it was made for me!


So, here is my pictorial step-by-step (adapted from memory), of Pat's Boneless Chicken Wings, which is the ultimate example of a shitarein (throw it in) recipe.  


Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food!  B'Tayavon, Buon Appetito and Happy Birthday Pat!



Place 1C flour in large bowl


Add 1tsp each: cumin, salt, onion & garlic powders.
Add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper


Rinse and pat dry skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
  Unroll and cut each thigh (against the grain) into 3 strips


In separate bowl, beat 1 egg


Dip chicken pieces in beaten egg


Dredge chicken pieces through flour & spice mixture


Fry chicken pieces in hot oil,
making sure not to crowd the pan


Turn pieces when golden brown,
to fry second side (obviously!)

Drain 


Serve!  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!