Monday, 5 March 2012

Hamentashen - A Pictorial Step-by-Step

With Purim right around the corner, it was time to whip up another batch of hamentashen.  So after a whirlwind dance competition weekend, it was time for this mama to get back to basics and baking! 

I took the day off for Becca's dance medal exams, and I was able to prepare a double batch of dough in between trips to the studio today.  As soon as I finish this pictorial step-by-step on how to make my great-grandmother's hamentashen recipe, I am sitting down to watch Storage Wars with Becca and Carlo, and indulging in some hamentashen and tea...yumm!

I have to say, that out of all the wonderful culinary delights my mother whipped up over the years, her hamentashen is my all time favourite recipe to prepare.  Without fail, every time I prepare these pillowy cakes of goodness, I am transported back to Mom's kitchen.  As I work the dough, cut the circles and pinch them into triangles I feel like Joychee is with me every step of the way.   From my family to yours: Hamentashen 101!

Soak 2C dried apricots in cold water overnight
Next day: drain, using immersion blender, blend with
 1C honey, 1 tbsp orange rind & juice from orange


Beat 4 eggs in mixing bowl


Add 3/4 C sugar


Add 1 tsp vanilla


Add 3/4 C oil


Blend in mixture of 3C flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt


Roll dough into ball (add enough flour to mixture so
dough can be handled), chill in fridge for minimum 1 hour


Roll dough to thin layer
(it puffs up when baked)
stamp out circles with wide mouth cup


Drop 1/2 tbsp topping on each dough circle

Shaping your hamentashen, the video
video


The finished product - B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food!  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!