Saturday, 21 April 2012

Mama's Meringues...Mouthwatering!



Things are not improving with Mom.  I am trying to find the silver lining in the cloud hanging overhead, but it's hard these past few weeks.  I got so used to the "new normal" during this extended plateau period, but now that we have entered a new phase of sharp decline, it is taking everything in me not to succumb to the overwhelming sadness.  I know I am fortunate in so many ways, and that I need to remember my "thankfuls" during my periods of sorrow...and that's what I am trying to do.  I still don't own any red...but just remembered that I have Mama's red garnet earrings - a double dose of Mom - her birthstone and her jewellery...that should help to cheer me up...


So what am I thankful for?  My kids and husband...my father, brother, in laws, nieces and nephews, my friends, my health and my good fortune.  I am grateful to have had so many good years with my mother.  And when I think that way, it puts everything back into perspective for me.


I have noticed that when I fall into the AD doldrums, I search for ways to connect to my mother.  I wear her favourite bracelet and notice how much my hand and forearm looks like hers (at least the hand that has fingers does - LOL!).


And I find her recipes.  She took so much comfort in her kitchen, as I do in mine...and what better opportunity to try a new recipe of hers - granted it is written on a teensy weensy piece of paper!   I am preparing all these sweet delights, and I am writing this post in the few minutes I am grabbing in between recipes.


We first discovered how delectable meringues are this past Christmas at my inlaws'.  My sister-in-law Frances is a fantastic baker (and one of my main inspirations) and she brought a batch over for the holidays.  Sara and Becca devoured them!  So, one week later, I set off to make them for the kids.  I piped little bite-sized meringues and they ate them like peanuts!


Recently I found a recipe Mom had written down for chocolate chip meringues.  Funny, I do not remember her ever making them for us.


I have been meaning to make them, but you already know what has been taking up most of my time since late March.  Anyways...Becca`s Dance Studio is holding a bake sale fundraiser tomorrow, and were looking for baked goods donations...talk about kismet!   They need baking and I need a pick-me-up!  So, here I am, making cupcakes and meringues for the bake sale and the family!


That is a standard teaspoon beside the paper,
just to give you an idea of how small it is!

A tray of sprinkled meringues for tomorrow!
Bite size for home, biggies for the bake sale!
Mama`s Mouthwatering Meringues

Ingredients
6 egg whites, at room temperature
1¼C granulated sugar
chocolate chips (optional, to taste)

Method:
Preheat oven to 175°.  Beat egg whites until frothy, slowly adding sugar, ¼C at a time.  When peaks hold their form you are ready to pipe them, or drop them (by the spoonful) on to a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 3 hours and enjoy!

Note: The great thing about meringues is that they do not expand when baked.  So, whether you are piping them or dropping them by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet, remember that you do not need to leave much space between them!


Until next time I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun. friends and fantastic food.  B`Tayavon & Buon Appetito!