Friday, 20 July 2012

Banana Bread....From Bubbie Lou, to Mom, to Me...


I can still picture Mom's kitchen in our third house - the house of my adulthood.  Mom would dig into her deep freeze and pull out a bucket of pre-made (by her, of course) muffin mix...she'd scoop out a dozen muffins and bake up a batch for us to nosh (nibble) on.

Oh how I wish I'd paid attention to the recipe...but, much like my kids do with me these days, I humoured her and listened with one ear.  And now I cannot find the recipe anywhere.  I know it called for raisin bran, but that's as much as I recall. 

But the message was not lost on me...I remember how nice it was to always find Mama's freshly-baked muffins on hand - the perfect quick fix for hungry kids and hubby. 

Now I am the mother and I make muffins -  Norene's Blueberry Orange muffins from Meal-Lean-I-Yumm are a huge hit, as well as Mom's banana bread muffins.  I love to add new things to the mix - shredded coconut, chocolate and butterscotch chips, walnuts...sometimes just a single additional ingredient, and sometimes all of the above!

The important thing is that I am using Mom's recipe...which I recently discovered was Bubbie Lou's before her. 

Whenever I make a batch of banana muffins I can feel Mom and Bubbie's hands on my shoulder, and I can see Mom's smile - the one that lit up her whole face, and made her eyes sparkle.  I know she would be so happy that I am keeping the recipes, the memories, the flavours and the traditions alive...just like she did before me, and like my beautiful girls will do one day...many moons from now.

In fact, just the other day my sweet Sara said that she was going to make a home just like mine, and cook all the delicious recipes that have been handed down from her matriarchs {{{{sigh}}}}.  Those are the moments that make it all the more worthwhile. 

From my family to yours, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon amp; Buon Appetito!

Bubbie Lou and Carol's Banana Bread


Ingredients:

  • ½C margarine
  • ¾C brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1¼C ripe bananas - mashed (2 large or 3 small bananas) - I use 1 banana to avoid excess moisture in my muffins
  • ¼C milk or orange juice
  • 1½C flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • ½C of frozen cranberries, walnuts,  etc. optional


Method:
Preheat oven to 350˚.  Cream margarine with brown sugar until smooth.  Add eggs, bananas and milk separately.   In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt & baking soda.  Add dry ingredients to mixture, stir in fruits and/or nuts, etc.  Pour into greased loaf pan (or if making muffins like I do, fill muffin cups ⅔ full.  

Bake cake for 50 to 55 minutes.  If using cranberries, bake for 60 to 65 minutes.  If making muffins bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  

Remove from oven.  Cool for 10 minutes and turn loaf or muffins onto baking rack to cool completely.