Friday, 6 July 2012

Cookouts, Cottages and Coleslaw - Bubbie Lou Style



Writing these posts has had an amazing effect on me - the more I think back, recalling events and dishes, the more I actually remember moments in my early life.  It's like I've embarked on an adventure for one, and I keep discovering new ports along the way.

Sometimes I just sit back and sift through My Golden Recipes or Mom's Cookbook looking for something to make.  Recently I found a recipe for Bubbie Lou's cabbage salad...coleslaw!  I guess the first name didn't sound too appealing to me, so I passed it by.  But this time I was intrigued...the girls, especially Sara, love coleslaw, and so I took a moment to read the recipe and see what ingredients it called for.  Then I started to see (and eventually "smell/taste") a coleslaw from my youth.  It was colourful and had a lot of flavouring (pepper and seeds of some kind)...

As a little girl I used to travel to Regina (with my family) quite frequently.  Many childhood memories take place there.  I can remember the incredible feeling of a prairie summer day - with a bright blue sky, blazing sun and zero humidity.  I can smell the fresh summer air wafting through the open windows at my grandparents' home and cottage...the feeling that this memory evokes is so powerful and comforting that I just want to take a deep breath, close my eyes and float back in time...

My grandparents were classic 1950s folks...picture "Leave it to Beaver".  They always dressed properly and even their casual wear was clean, crisp and fashionable.  They lived on a proper timetable (hmmm  maybe I am more like them than I thought) and even had cocktails after work.  My grandfather used to come home for a proper lunch set down by my Bubbie Lou every day - I remember, I spent many a meal with them! - and then had a short nap before going back to Isman Hide & Fur Shop for the afternoon.  They had a group of friends that they did everything together with - socialized, played cards, went for dinner, even had cottages in the same vicinity - Sandy Beach in the Qu'apelle Valley.

I loved going to the cottage at Sandy Beach.  It was a beachfront property, with a kitchen, huge living room/dining room, and I believe there were 2, maybe 3 bedrooms.  No washrooms back then - just the "biffy" (outhouse), a rain barrel and a lake.  You could use the water collected in the rain barrel to wash your hair (Bubbie Lou and Mom always told me it made your hair so soft) and take a bar of soap in the lake to wash your body.  Oh, how I hated the biffy.  Not only was it aromatically unpleasant, it was full of cobwebs and spiders - at least in my mind it was!  I remember being so afraid of falling in, or worse, of something jumping out!

But it was always great fun to go to the cottage.  Bubbie Lou and Mom would send Davie and I out to the side of the cottage to pick Saskatoon berries for a pie...I just remember that we'd eat one berry for every two we'd pick!  Good thing there were tons of bushes going all the way down to the lake.

We'd have cookouts and loads of food...and this is where the memory of Bubbie Lou's coleslaw comes in...I can taste the tangy coleslaw she would serve with burgers and dogs...I don't recall what else went with the meal...some recollections do get lost with time.

Thankfully the recipe did not.  I found it and recreated it this week!  I cannot wait to serve it to the family and see if it sparks any memories for Davie or Daddy.  To see the original recipe card, click here.

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food!  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!


Add a little less than ½C of sugar 

Add a little less than ½C of oil

Add ½C of white vinegar

Add 1 tsp salt

Add 1 tsp ground mustard

Add 1 tsp ground pepper

Add 1 tsp celery seed

Add  ½ tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in saucepan on stove

Bring to a boil


Meanwhile...shred 1 large cabbage and 1 thinly sliced
large Spanish onion and combine in bowl (or you can cheat
 like I did and buy a ready-made bag of coleslaw salad mix!)

Add boiled dressing to salad mixture, toss, cool and serve!

Voila - Bubbie Lou's Cabbage Salad <3

Bubbie Lou's Cabbage Salad 

Salad Ingredients

  • 1 large cabbage, shredded
  • 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thin in rings
  • (or you can "cheat" and buy the ready-made coleslaw salad mix)

Dressing Ingredients 
  • a little less than ½C sugar
  • ½C white vinegar
  • a little less than ½C oil (I prefer canola)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • ½ tsp garlic powder

Method
Combine salad ingredients in a bowl.  Combine the dressing ingredients in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil and pour over salad ingredients (while the mixture is still hot! Norene Gilletz points out that the hot dressing will help to keep the slaw longer).  Toss and cool.  Keeps great in the fridge.