Monday, 9 July 2012

Passionate for Potatoes - Nonna's Potato Salad

Nonna's Potato Salad

I grew up eating potatoes...a lot.

Potatoes were the staple side dish in my parents' home.  Regardless of the form - baked, in a kugel, Baba Ethels, mashed, scalloped, au gratin, Duchess, little babies tossed in olive oil, sea salt and garlic, or just a simple plate of fries, potatoes always made it to my plate. 

You would think I'd have developed an aversion to potatoes by now...but it's just the opposite!  I love them more with each passing day.  The proof is in the pudding - or my cantina - there is always at least 1 10 pound bag waiting to be transformed into one delicacy or another...

The kids also love spuds, and Nonna's potato salad is an all-time favourite.  So much so that I found myself throwing out containers of half-eaten store-bought potato salads.   And this was just the push I needed to learn my mother-in-law's recipe.

I tried making it a few times, but it never measured up to Nonna's.  Then I discovered her secret - boil the onions and carrots with the potatoes!  So simple it was genius!  My most recent batch was a huge success - as delicious as Nonna's - hurray!!

What better to serve at summer cookouts along with Bubbie Lou's coleslaw than a side of potato salad?  And so, from my family to yours - Nonna's potato salad. 

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!

Nonna's Potato Salad

Ingredients:
10 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small onion, peeled and diced
3 regular carrots, peeled and cut into half-inch rounds
¾C mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Olive Oil) - you may want to add more to reach the ideal consistency
¼C white vinegar
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Method:
Peel and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.  Peel the onion and dice into small pieces.  Peel the carrots and cut into ½-inch rounds.  Place all veggies in large stockpot of water.  Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Check potatoes after 10 minutes to see if they are cooked enough.  When potatoes are done (easy to bite through but not soft enough to mash), drain all veggies and place in large glass bowl.  Add remaining ingredients, increasing any of the above to taste, and toss.  Keeps well in the fridge - but it won't last long!  Garnish with parsley when serving.