Monday, 16 July 2012

Rock Candy & Rogers' Chocolates

Rogers store (photo courtesy of pughs-news.blogspot.com)

David and Dad just returned from a Law Conference in Victoria, and they have brought back a fantastic treat - Rogers' Chocolates - from the place where it all started back in 1885.

Dad, Davie & Uncle Jim (Victoria 2012)


I think I need to backtrack a little.  Some of my fondest childhood memories are from our holidays in Regina.  It was so much fun to visit my mother's family out west...almost felt like we were living another life out there.  I loved the different foods that Bubbie Lou would make, and there were always treats available - she actually had a treat drawer - third drawer down on the kitchen island...take a look there and you were guaranteed a sweet delight every time.


Then there was a tall glass jar on the counter top to the right of the island (to the left of her fridge) which was always filled with rock candy, in an array of colours, all intertwined by tangled strings that held the candies.  They used to get them from the US - I guess like most things, availability was limited 35 years ago...today you can find them everywhere!  In fact, we did, at a candy store in Blue Mountain when we were there last May.  True to their genes, the girls love rock candy too.  So, we picked up some sticks for them to nibble on {{sigh}}...


Rock Candy
And then there were Rogers' chocolates...these nuggets of deliciousness with candy cores, smothered in chocolate and individually presented in beautiful pink wrappers.

Our box of Rogers' chocolates ... thanks Dad!

My family had a ritual whenever we ate a Rogers' chocolate.  I believe it all started with Bubbie Gertie - and later Bubbie Lou, then Mom - she would sit down at the table with a small dessert plate, a sharp knife and a box of Rogers' chocolates.  The family would gather round the table and watch as the chocolate was cut into 4, 6 or 8 wedges.  She would do this with a few chocolates, and while it seems silly, it actually made a lot of sense.  Each individual chocolate is large - the size of the palm of your hand - so the wedges were ample.  The first bite or two are delectable, but then the novelty of the flavour wears off.  If you divvy up a few chocolates, everyone gets to enjoy a sampling of a variety of tasty treats.  
Open the box and you find these chocolates wrapped like a gift!

Open the tissue and there is "decorative shred"
protecting it's delicate contents

Peel back the decorative shred to reveal
a treasure-trove of chocolate delights

See?  I wasn't kidding about the size of each
chocolate...mmm...peppermint, my favourite

I can still envision Bubbie Lou sitting at her kitchen table, serving each of us a wedge, and I can see Mom doing the same at her kitchen table.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, Davie and Dad have just returned from Victoria with a box of chocolates, and yesterday I added my name to the list of matriarchs who follow the family tradition of dividing, then eating a Rogers' chocolate!

Rogers'  Vanilla Cream chocolate - Bubbie style!


So from my family to yours, I hope you get the opportunity to try these tasty treats, and that you enjoy them as much as we do.

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!