Friday, 13 July 2012

Sara and Carlo's Fantastic Fajitas


Life in our household is always busy...


With a teen and tween who are energetic and involved in many different activities, it seems that we are always running somewhere or doing something with one or the other of our kids.  As with most families, there are "time sacrifices" we make for our children, which we do willingly because it enriches our children's lives.

One area we will not cut corners, for many reasons, is mealtime.  Family meals are woven into the fabric of our family, dating back generations.  It is arguably my favourite part of the day, and not just because I love food, but because I adore my family.  

Every night, Carlo and I sit down to dinner with our daughters and share our day's experiences - the highs and the lows - as the girls animatedly inform us about schoolyard and classroom events.  We learn so much about the young ladies they are, and the women they strive to become one day, and I always marvel at how blessed I am to be surrounded by such amazing people.  

But mealtime is not restricted to dinners.  We share all meals on the weekends, and have our favourite lunch dishes as well - the latest being Sara and Carlo's fantastic fajitas.   They make the most incredible wraps...and I cannot eat just one...ever!   I think Sara was the first to come up with the idea for this dish, and it took a lot of convincing (and begging) to get them to agree to let me share it on my blog.  

This wrap is a favourite because...let me list the reasons!

  1. It is flexible.  You can add whatever fillings tickle your fancy.  The base is sauteed vegetables (an assortment of peppers, mushrooms and onions).  Then you can add rice, hot peppers, salsa, grated cheese, even beef or chicken strips.  
  2. Which brings me to reason #2 - it uses up leftovers and masks them in a delicious meal...gotta love those leftovers!  We will use beef or chicken from dinner the night, or 2 before, and even leftover basmati rice.  Waste not want not!
  3. It is fast and easy to prepare.  It takes no more than 20 minutes to prepare everything, and then another 5 in the oven to toast it up.  Perfect!

So, from my family to yours - below is a pictorial step-by-step recipe of our fajitas.  I hope you find them as fantastic as I do!  Thank you to Sara and Carlo for inventing - and preparing them, time and time again.

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Heat 2 -3 tbsp olive oil to large skillet

Slice vegetables (I used red, yellow & orange peppers,
along with white and green onions here)

A couple of pickled hot peppers (diced) are a nice addition 


Combine sliced and chopped veggies in a large skillet

Saute veggies until softened (not soggy)
and onions are translucent

Lay out your wraps

Add rice (along the centre of the wrap)

Layer sauteed veggies over rice

Top with salsa and then grated cheese
(cheddar or mozzarella are great)
Roll wraps, place on parchment-lined cookie sheet and
bake for 5 to 10 minutes - until light golden
brown and crispy.  Serve while hot.