Monday, 24 September 2012

Brownies for Bubbie Lou's 94th Birthday



Now that the school year is upon us (yes, I still measure my life according to the school year!) I am settling back into a routine and slipping into a state of organized bliss.

I spent a glorious 2 hours yesterday (Saturday) morning going through my long list of emails, loading extra-curricular and school events into my online organizer (you really should check it out - it's amazing and can be utilized by the whole family, via computer or smart phone)....aaaah.

But first, I pulled out Mom's Cookbook and had an epiphany.  I am just like my matriarchs before me...baking was a source of relaxation/pleasure not only for Mom, but for her mom, Bubbie Lou.  There are tons of baking and dessert recipes written by my Bubbie that are beckoning...just waiting for me to resurrect them from their long slumber.  

And so, yesterday (still Saturday, although this post won't be published until Monday September 24th, in honour of, and on, Bubbie Lou's actual birthday) I decided to try my hand at her homemade brownies, with hot fudge topping...mmm mmm good!

I have tried making brownies before, but never with success.  This recipe was unbelievably simple and easy, and turned out perfectly.  I made it with nuts, so it won't go to school, but it is a great after school or evening snack and was a hit with the family - even with me and Sara, and we are not chocolate fans!  And the topping...what can I say?  It was another simple recipe, but it was really delish!

And so, from my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.  I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon, Buon Appetito, and Happy 94th Birthday Bubbie Lou!

Bubbie's Brownies

Ingredients:


  • 1 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 squares of chocolate
  • ½ C butter
  • ½ C flour
  • ½ C chopped nuts

Method:Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat eggs and sugar.  Melt butter and chocolate, adding to egg and sugar mixture. Add flour and nuts.  Pour batter into 8 x 8 pan (greased or parchment-lined) and bake for 40 minutes, or until edges come away from side of pan.  Top with Hot Fudge Icing (recipe below), cool, slice and serve.

Hot Fudge Icing 

Ingredients:


  • 2 squares of chocolate
  • 1 C icing sugar
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 C mini marshmallows
Method:
Melt chocolate squares in double boiler.  Add remaining ingredients to melted chocolate, stirring constantly. Pour the hot mixture over the brownies (top with more chopped nuts) and allow to set.