Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Happy Halloween: Candy Apples and so much more!!

Happy Halloween!


Some people love Halloween.  They dress up in fancy costumes, decorate their houses and indulge in treats for weeks before and after October 31st.

I am not one of those people.  I lack vision and definitely lack the artistic ability to bring great ideas to life.  My mother was pretty much the same.  Our decorations were limited to a carved pumpkin, and our costumes were plastic face masks with the elastic string stapled to the sides and a synthetic covering that went over your fall jacket.  I think I even went as a ghost one year, in a sheet with 2 holes cut out for eyes!!

But none of this bothered me.  I liked the candy, and learned to carefully and quietly slide the kitchen chair across the floor to the cupboard, where I would climb up and balance on 1 foot while trying to silently dislodge the candy bag from the top shelf and sneak some sweet treats...and for the record, I rarely got caught.

My Bubbie Lou, on the other hand, definitely got into Halloween a more than Mom and I did.  I remember visiting her and Zaida Bernie in Regina when I was 19, which visit coincided with Halloween.  I discovered she had made caramel apples, but she slapped my hand away when I reached for one, explaining that she made them for her grandchildren!  I reminded her that I WAS her grandchild, to which she relented, letting me have ONE apple, insisting I leave the rest for the little ones!

Fast forward to the present...I am 44 and still lacking artistic ability, but Carlo makes up for it! He is an artistic person (that's where our girls must get it from) and does a great job decorating the house (when we aren't preparing for Hurricane Sandy's wind gusts), and our kids get into dressing up and collecting treats.  Strangely, this year I am overcome by the urge to bake and make candy treats.

My first try making candy apples (2012)

And so, for the first time ever, I have made candy apples.  What fun it was to watch this goopy, gloppy syrup thicken and to swirl fresh, crunchy green apples in the concoction.  But the best part was the smile on my angels' faces when they discovered the sweet treat waiting for them in the kitchen....and now I understand why my Bubbie made those fantastic caramel apples, and all the wonderful treats she collected in her Golden Recipes...

Bubbie Becca (2009)

Haunted doll (2009)

Beethoven (2010)

Cat in the Hat is happy (2011)

Whether you celebrate Halloween, or just like sweets, I wish you all a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food!  Happy Haunting, B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!