Monday, 12 November 2012

Tuna Antipasto - A Tasty Treat!


My mother comes from a social family...many of my childhood memories are of dinner parties, with  beautifully-dressed adults milling about, plates and glasses in hand...chatting and nibbling on delicacies prepared by Bubbie Lou and/or Mom.

Davie and I were usually bored stiff at these events - they were loud (couldn't hear the television or fall asleep) and boring (we were allowed to come down for food but then were expected to retreat to our own space and leave the adults to visit).  

Looking back, I smile as I recall the tastes and sounds associated with fond memories of a time and era that has since disappeared.

One dish that stands out is an appetizer that my matriarchs would make - tuna antipasto...a dish with which I have a love-hate relationship.  It is chock-full of yummy ingredients: pickles, mushrooms, green olives, tuna, ketchup, Worcester sauce, chili sauce & cocktail onions.  Placed on a triscuit, this canape is refreshing and delectable.   But too much of a good thing is exactly that - too much.  So, I like to enjoy this in small doses.  It's a good thing that it keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks!  

Looking back, I wonder if this could also be the reason that both Bubbie Lou and Mom served it when hosting buffets: luncheons, brunches and buffets (like Break the Fast).  

Anyways, I found the recipe amongst Bubbie's collection of handwritten recipes in My Golden Recipes, and finally got around to making it last weekend.  Imagine my surprise when I went to the cantina to collect the ingredients only to discover that Sara and Carlo had pilfered my stash and eaten both jars of cocktail onions!  Oh well, that is the one ingredient I can easily live without!

So, from my family to yours, I hope you enjoy our Tuna Antipasto recipe.  

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day, filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.   B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!


2 tins of button mushrooms (halved because mine were big)

4 celery twigs/stalks (cut into bite-size pieces)

3 carrots (peeled and sliced into thin rounds)

1 medium jar of mixed pickles (drained)

1 jar of green olives with pimentos (drained & halved)

Chili sauce & ketchup
(Worcester  & lemon juice not pictured)

Presenting...Tuna Antipasto!

Jarred and ready for the fridge!

Tuna Antipasto

Ingredients:
  • 1 jar silver cocktail onions
  • 1 jar (medium size) sweet mixed pickles
  • 1 jar (medium size) stuffed small green olives
  • 2 tins white solid tuna
  • 2 tins whole baby button mushrooms (if larger, slice)
  • 1 bottle (large) ketchup
  • 1 bottle (large) chili sauce 
  • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
  • 4 celery twigs, sliced thin
  • 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
  • juice from ½ lemon

Method:
Drain all ingredients, cut all ingredients (as noted above), except for onions and cauliflower (from mixed pickles).  Add tuna last.  Mix gently and seal in mason jars for the fridge.  Freezes well (in Tupperware) too!