Monday, 8 July 2013

Chocolate K'mish (Komish) - It's all in the way the cookie crumbles



They say that some of the strongest memories and associations derive from food experiences and tastes... have you ever found that a certain smell or scent transported you back to an earlier time in your life? 


Passover eating restrictions begin around the noon hour on the first Seder.  Coincidentally, that's about the time that I would be overcome with a sudden, desperate hunger for sweets and treats.  Davie and I would devour the Manischewitz chocolate chip cookies and the Streits' chocolate nut cookies while Mom was busily preparing for the Seders.  They were so delicious, and just crumbled in our mouths.  The texture was so unique and light, that it was impossible to eat just one!  By the time Mom would discover us, the box would be empty.



Well, this is exactly what happened when I took my first bite of Bubbie Lou's Chocolate K'mish (aka Komish Broyt).  Join me, won't you, as we go back to the beginning...about 40 years ago.  


I'm sorry to say that I've never been fond of Passover...it represents a week of dining purgatory for me...no pasta, no bread, limited chips and cookies as Mom would ration them - Kosher for Passover ("KLP") goodies were (and still are) very expensive.  Mom would buy a limited number of bags of chips, and even fewer boxes of cookies. Toss in one bag of bazooka gum, a couple of bags of coconut-covered marshmallows and some fruit jellies (I cannot stand the sight of fruit jellies, let alone the taste!) and that was it for the week.


Fast forward to the present.  When I buy KLP treats I cringe at the prices of sweet treats...especially given the fact that I can make nosherai (nibbles) that are just as good for a fraction of the price.  But nothing I've made ever compared to the amazing crumbly chocolate chip cookies from my childhood. 

You may point out that it's July, and Passover has passed (excuse the pun).  Why, you wonder, am I going on and on about these cookies?  Funny you should ask...the other week I was itching to make a new sweet treat.  I perused Bubbie Lou and Mom's recipes and found one for Chocolate K'mish.  I was so excited ...Carlo loves anything chocolate, so these were sure to be a huge success.



I had to stock up on a couple of ingredients that weren't in my cantina - one being ground almonds.  I proceeded to make the K'mish recipe, and found that they were crumbling a little as I sliced the loaves into cookies.  I thought nothing of it, and returned the cookies (which are very similar to biscotti) to the oven to dry out.  When they were done, and cooled, I took a taste and lo and behold, all these memories came flooding back to me - the texture was just like that of the Passover chocolate chip cookies!  It must be the ground almonds (replacing half of the flour in a regular mandelbroty recipe)...talk about coming full circle!



Bubbie Lou's Original Recipe Card
(with cooking stains to boot!)
I think I am the biggest fan of this new cookie, but Carlo likes them too...as he says "he never met a cookie he didn't like". 


From my family to yours, I hope you enjoy these Chocolate K'mish as much as I do.



Until next time,  I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon and Buon Appetito!



Bubbie Lou's Chocolate K'mish


Ingredients:

  • 7 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1C sliced almonds (don't use whole almonds, because too difficult to slice loaves & cookies crumble)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1C white granulated sugar
  • 1C oil (I prefer canola)
  • 2C crushed/ground almonds
  • 2½C flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • cinnamon sugar (blended) to taste






Method: 
Preheat oven to 350˚. Beat eggs, sugar and oil in mixer.  Combine dry ingredients separately and then add to mixture.  Blend in sliced almonds and chocolate chips.  Separate dough into 3 parts, and pat down into 3 greased (I spray with Pam) loaf pans.  Bake for ½ hour.  Remove loaves from oven and reduce oven temperature to 225˚.  Allow loaves to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and slice while hot.  Place on lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Return to 225˚ oven for 2 hours to dry out.