Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Spinach Quiche...searching the treasures for Dad's Birthday Brunch

My first quiche...from scratch - thanks Mom!

It's been a hard winter...

Not just the weather, which has been "punishing", as my mother would have said, but we've lost my uncle, and in losing him I feel like I've lost a vital connection to my mother.

Only now, in his passing, have I come to understand the huge part he played in helping me to deal with losing and re-losing my mother to Alzheimer's...he was her childhood memories, the stories of her youth...somehow he was keeping her history alive.  And now that all feels lost to me.

It is as though I am the only one left with the memories of their shared youth, and they are stuck inside my head, all cluttered and disorganized.  I know I just need time to heal and process everything, and that my mind and heart will slow down, and I will be able to share them all...I need to share them all...because although right now it is not important for my kids, one day, in what will seem like the blink of an eye, they will be starved for those memories as I am today, and I want to make sure that they are waiting and ready for them when that day comes.

So please bear with me as I walk a renewed path of grief...longing for what was and mourning the loss of a life that is no more...and join me as I try to rediscover my mother, her brother and their family through notes, pictures, recipes and newspaper clippings.

All the while I must remind myself daily of the tremendous blessings in my life - my living family.  I have my children, my husband, my brother, my father.   Yes, thank goodness my father is alive and well and by the time you read this, we will have celebrated his 81st birthday!  And I am so grateful that he is strong, and so with it - he is still a full-time practicing trial lawyer and an example of how I want to be at his age - active, alert, and independent.

As always, celebrating a simcha (happy occasion) signals me that it is time to give my kitchen a work out!  Carlo says time and time again, cooking and baking are my healers, and what perfect timing this simcha is...but I still needed that special recipe for our brunch...I made the usual array of salads and chelsea buns (mmmm), but I needed something else...what to make?  I pulled out Mom's Golden Recipes for inspiration, but those recipes are a jumble of loose pages right now...so I started sorting through them, from the top down...and about 5 recipes in I saw my Mama's beautiful writing on a scrap of paper entitled "Recipe for Spin. Quiche"...

Do you think it is a sign?  I'd like to think so...spinach quiche goes perfectly with an assortment of salads, lox cream cheese and bagel, and is made all the more perfect because it is my mother's recipe.

So I made it...and it was pretty good for a first try...although I will modify it for future servings and have adjusted the recipe here to reflect the modifications (too much spinach). 

As I served it, I noticed Dad wasn't taking any!  Why?  He doesn't eat quiche!  What are the chances?!  No worries, he tried a piece when he realized it was Mama's recipe that I'd made especially for him...and he sorta liked it.

So from my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon and Buon Appetito.


Carol's Spinach Quiche

Ingredients (Filling) 

  • 1 package chopped frozen spinach - cooked, drained and cooled
  • ½C grated parmesan cheese
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 6 tbsp heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

* For the pie pastry recipe, click here.

Method
Preheat oven to 350°.  Prepare pastry recipe, and place in greased pie plate.  Combine filling ingredients and fill pie plate.  Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot.

** if you have leftover pastry dough you can refrigerate or freeze it by wrapping it well, first in wax paper and then in freezer bag. It will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge and a few months in the freezer.